Why become an OPPQ member?
All Quebec professionals are governed by a professional order. The professional system brings together nearly 385,000 members in 46 orders, 26 of which are in health-related fields.
Protecting the public is the number one priority that underpins all actions taken by professional orders. This ensures that the Quebec public has access to top-quality services that are safe and provided by members with proven skill and integrity.
The Quebec Professional Code prohibits any non-member of OPPQ from using the title “physiotherapist” or “physical rehabilitation therapist” or from performing any activity reserved for members. To legally practice you must hold a license and be a registered OPPQ member.
OPPQ’s mission is to ensure the protection of the public and the quality of professional services provided by physiotherapists and physical rehabilitation therapists. OPPQ membership comes with benefits as well as responsibilities.
- Provide the highest quality services to meet the public’s needs while complying with existing laws and regulations, including the Code of Ethics for OPPQ members
- Keep skills up-to-date all career long
- Use of the professional title “physiotherapist” or “physical rehabilitation therapist” as well as their abbreviations
- Authorization to practice one or more of the activities reserved for OPPQ members as per member license category
- Ability to perform non-reserved professional activities for which a professional title is required (various governmental programs, laws, and regulations stipulate such requirements)
- Access to professional development activities reserved for OPPQ members and designed to meet the specific needs of members
- Access to services offered by our partners (liability insurance program, etc.)
- Access to a awards, scholarships, and research grants that recognize professional excellence
- Opportunities to contribute to the development of the profession, including participation in OPPQ projects and committees