Motor development problems
Pediatric physiotherapy specializes in childhood motor development. It aims to ensure that children seamlessly acquire motor skills (rolling, crawling, walking, running, jumping, etc.) without compensations, delays, or asymmetries.
A thorough physiotherapy exam can verify the integrity of the child’s muscles and bones and identify any signs and symptoms indicating a compromise in motor development.
Pediatric physiotherapy is helpful in treating the following:
- Torticollis/plagiocephaly (flattening of the skull)
- Hyptonia (floppy baby)/hypertonicity (rigid baby)
- Neurological impairments (congenital muscular dystrophy/cerebral palsy, stroke, etc.)
- Genetic syndromes (Down syndrome, etc.)
- Neuromuscular diseases
- Coordination and balance difficulties
- Abnormal gait (toe walking, walking with feet turned inward)