Canadian graduates

The steps involved in obtaining a license to practice physiotherapy in Quebec vary depending on where you earned your degree and whether or not you hold a regular license to practice physiotherapy outside Quebec.

I have a valid license to practice physiotherapy in Canada. Can I obtain a license to practice in Quebec?

All Canadian physiotherapy regulatory bodies support the right of physiotherapists to work anywhere in Canada. In order to comply with the Agreement on Internal Trade — Chapter 7, an agreement on measures to support workforce mobility was reached. This agreement establishes the conditions for recognizing physiotherapists legally authorized to practice in a given provincial jurisdiction. In Quebec, this agreement is implemented by a regulation in the Professional Code.

You can therefore obtain a license by submitting an application for a license to practice physiotherapy and first-time registration (in french only) and attaching a letter of good standing from the competent authority.

If you do not have a valid license to practice physiotherapy, get your papers in order with the competent authority before applying for a license to practice.

I have a degree in physiotherapy from Canada, but I never obtained a license. How do I obtain a license in Quebec?

Step 1: Submit an equivalency application for applicants from Canada

To practice your profession in Quebec, you need to obtain a temporary restricted license. To obtain a license, you must have graduated from a recognized physiotherapy program in Canada within the past three years and must submit an equivalency application including the following documents:

  • A cover letter explaining your motivation and intent
  • The equivalency application form for applicants from Canada (in french only)
  • Registration and application fees, (cheque, credit card, or money order): $114.98, taxes included
  • Proof you have passed the written component of the national Physiotherapy Competency Examination of the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators
  • A certified copy of your transcript and any supporting diploma (if unavailable at the time of application, confirmation from the university that you have completed the program and obtained your master’s in physiotherapy)
  • Your current resume
  • The mentoring agreement form (in french only)

Step 2: Obtain a temporary restricted license

Once OPPQ has approved your equivalency application, you can fill out the Quebec physiotherapist registration form and fee schedule to obtain a temporary restricted license.

To learn more about temporary restricted licenses, please consult the application guide on the conditions governing use of a temporary restricted license in Quebec for physiotherapy graduates from a recognized Canadian university outside Quebec offering physiotherapy degrees equivalent to the recognized degree giving access to a physiotherapy license (in French only).

Step 3: Obtain a regular license

Once you have completed the equivalency process, you can obtain a regular permit. You must submit the following:

Applications must be mailed or emailed to the OPPQ admissions department. You may also fax the documents if you send your passport photo by mail or email and pay by credit card.

For more information:

  • For more information on how to apply, please consult the Reference guide for admission applications (in French only).
  • To learn more about regulations and other information about your future profession in Quebec, please consult the Member section of our website.
  • For all other questions, please email admissions assistant Julie Desrosiers at



Do I need to pass the Quebec government’s French exam to obtain a license?

The official language of Quebec is French (Charter of the French Language, Art. 35).

If you have studied at an English-language college or university in Quebec, you must provide proof of your knowledge of French in compliance with the requirements of Office québécois de la langue française (OQLF) before obtaining a license.

The Charter deems a person to have the appropriate knowledge if he or she:

  • Has received no less than three years of full-time secondary or post-secondary instruction provided in French (high school, general and vocational college, university)
  • Has passed the fourth or fifth year secondary level examinations in French as the first language
  • Obtained a secondary school certificate in Quebec in the 1985-1986 school year or later

In all other cases, you must obtain a certificate issued by Office québécois de la langue française (OQLF) or hold a certificate defined as equivalent by the Government.

Other French exams, such as the Test de français international (TFI), are not accepted for obtaining a regular license.

What is the employment situation like in Quebec?

The employment situation in Quebec changes from year to year. It depends on the need for services in different regions of Quebec as well as government priorities for the public sector workforce.

Physiotherapists and physical rehabilitation therapists can work in both the public sector, which is financed by the government (hospitals or specialized centers), as in the private sector (private practice or clinic).

For more information on the employment situation and salaries, please consult the following websites for:

I would like to join. What fee category should I choose on the fee notice if I haven’t found a job yet?

If you are looking for work, we suggest you choose the category «Regular member in the private/public sector» with OPPQ insurance. That way, you are free to work in the public or private sector.

When renewing your annual contribution in February or March, you can choose the category that best reflects the type of job you have.

Can I get my membership fees refunded if I was not working full time?

There is no contribution category for temporary or part time work. The registration year starts on April 1 and ends on March 31 each year.

How will I receive my license number?

You will receive your license number by mail. Later, you will receive an envelope in the mail containing documents for you to consult, your license to practice, your member card, and your tax receipts.